As fall quickly turns to winter, many people struggle to maintain their weight loss goals and healthy eating plans. The cold, brutal weather of winter can be tiring and less than motivating, and the rich, seasonal eats can easily derail a diet plan. But winter is not hopeless, and with a few extra tips in the arsenal, you can still stick to your plan and keep losing weight throughout the winter months. Here are some tips on how to shed fat in the winter.
Can I Lose Weight in the Winter?
Colder winter weather may make us feel less motivated to exercise, and all those holidays with indulgent foods and treats can make losing weight during this season seem hopeless. The good news is that these negative ideas about winter weight loss are just myths — it’s absolutely possible to lose weight during the winter months.
You may have heard that the average American gains about 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years, but this “fact” is just a myth, and the average is actually closer to about one pound of weight gain. Losing weight in the winter is definitely possible, and there are lots of strategies to keep you on track with your winter weight loss goals.
Is It Harder to Lose Weight in the Winter?
While it is possible to lose weight in the winter, certain obstacles can make it a little harder than trying to lose weight in spring and summer. During these warmer months, the nicer weather is more motivating, pushing you to get outside and be active. What’s more, the fresh produce is more abundant for healthy salads and snacks.
Here are two of the main factors that can get in the way of a winter weight loss plan:
- Holiday treats and winter comfort foods: The fare in winter tends to be a little heavier, like creamy soups and cheesy casseroles, not to mention huge holiday meals and Christmas cookies. Fresh, cold veggies and fruits aren’t always as appetizing in the colder temps, and we gravitate more toward heavy comfort foods. We also tend to eat more packaged foods and saltier foods in the winter, which can add water weight.
- Winter weather makes workouts less appealing: Between the colder temps, snowy and icy conditions and shorter days, it’s far less appealing to be outside — or active at all — during winter months. Winter weather can make people feel more tired and less likely to work out too.
Winter Weight Loss Tips and Strategies to Try This Year
Even though it might be more difficult to keep on track during the winter, you can have a healthy weight loss plan that works. Here are some winter weight loss tips to help you get through the winter and keep your healthy weight plan:
- Make comfort food healthier: During the winter, the body craves warm, heavy foods, while salads and other cold fruits and vegetables aren’t as appealing. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible to include healthy produce in comfort-food dishes. Try eating more warm veggies prepared with healthier preparations like steaming and roasting. Hot, broth-based soups packed with veggies are comforting and super healthy throughout the winter. You can even eat many types of fruit warm — baked apples are just one example of a healthy wintertime dessert!
- Try indoor activities: When the weather is cold and snowy, we’re far less likely to be active outdoors, even if our favorite exercise has to be done outside. Use this time to try indoor gyms and classes — you might find that you have a favorite for the season. Get creative with yoga, dance or kickboxing — try something new to make it more fun! For instance, look for indoor rock climbing facilities or other fun ways to stay warm and active.
- Embrace the cold: If you can stand the cold, why not embrace the season and try some cold-weather activities? Give downhill or cross-country skiing a try, or check out snowboarding and snowshoeing. Walking, jogging and biking can also be great ways to exercise during the winter with a few extra safety precautions. Watch out for slippery patches, and make sure to wear bright, reflective clothing. Working out in the cold can actually burn even more calories as your body works to stay warm.
- Use shorter workouts: If the dark and cold are just too oppressive and you find it difficult to get workout motivation, try shortening your sessions to make them less overwhelming. Sneaking in two sessions of only 10 minutes each during the day can keep you on track with your fitness goals.
- Change up your holiday fun: Instead of meeting for cocktails or participating in cookie exchanges, suggest to your groups of co-workers and friends a skating outing, skiing, sledding or caroling. To help everyone stay fit but still enjoy the holiday season, base your plans around movement and activity instead of calorie-laden treats.
- Stay hydrated: Winter can be very drying, and consistently consuming enough water is essential to your weight loss goals. Make sure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day. Drinking cold water can help your metabolism because the body works harder to bring the water up to your body temperature. But if cold water sounds unappealing in the middle of winter, remember that simply staying hydrated is best. Warm water or hot tea will also give your body the hydration it needs.
- Complement your workout plan with Zerona: This quick, non-invasive procedure requires very little effort and can help you achieve your fat loss goals faster. With Zerona’s body contouring procedure, you can experience a slimmer body without surgery, side effects or downtime.
Enjoy Your Slim Beach Body for Spring and Summer
Following these winter weight loss strategies can keep you on track for the beach body you want in the warmer spring and summer months. You can overcome the obstacles that winter brings with it and get the body you want. If you utilize Zerona treatments in your winter fat loss plan, you can lose up to 3.72 inches in as little as two weeks. Help get rid of that stubborn body fat, especially during those tough winter months, and you’ll have the beach-ready body you’ve always wanted.
Zerona is a full-body treatment designed to target stubborn body fat, and it’s clinically tested and FDA-approved. The procedure uses cold laser technology to create an overall body-slimming effect. If you struggle with losing stubborn areas of fat, Zerona can help you reach your goals. If you’re ready to try Zerona, find a provider near you and get started with a consultation.